These are some Vehicles Definition
- a. A device or structure for transporting persons or things; a conveyance: a space vehicle.b. A self-propelled conveyance that runs on tires; a motor vehicle.
- A medium through which something is transmitted, expressed, or accomplished: His novels are a vehicle for his political views.
- The concrete or specific word or phrase that is applied to the tenor of a metaphor and gives the metaphor its figurative power, as walking shadow in “Life’s but a walking shadow” ( Shakespeare )
- A play, role, or piece of music used to display the special talents of one performer or company.
- An inactive substance that is combined with an active medication to facilitate administration.
- A substance, such as oil, in which paint pigments are mixed for application.
- A conveyance; a device for carrying or transporting substances, objects or individual.
- A medium for expression of talent or views.
- A liquid content (e.g. oil) which acts as a binding and drying agent in paint. (FM 55-501).
- An entity to achieve an end.
- (Buddhism) A mode or method of spiritual practice; a yana.
- (Hinduism) An animal or (rarely) a plant on which a Hindu deity rides or sits.
When you book your ferry ticket, the total length of the vehicle determines the price. Read more about the rules here.
Classification of vehicles
We divide vehicles into five length categories. You must always select the total length of the vehicle in order to determine the ticket category. This is irrespective of whether you have a normal car, trailer, caravan or a mobile home. Here are our five length categories.
Please note that it is not sufficient to simply add the length of your car to the length of the trailer / caravan. Please measure your vehicle only when the trailer / caravan is mounted. If the length of the vehicle at the port check-in is longer than pre-booked, Scandlines can not guarantee that you get a place on the booked departure.
General rules for all vehicles (except vehicles used for goods transport)
Car ticket prices apply to cars, motorhomes and cars with caravans or trailers which meet the following criteria:
- The prices are for vehicles up to 6 m in length
- Registered for max. 9 passengers
- Permissible total weight of max. 3500 kg
- Legally insured
- Vehicles (including caravans or trailers) over 6 m in length, in which the towing vehicle has a permissible total weight of max. 3500 kg, are tariffed with the corresponding vehicle and length category.
Motorhomes (irrespective of weight) are treated like cars, provided that the vehicle is registered as a motorhome according to the registration certificate.
Motorcycles / mopeds can be max. 2.5 m long incl. 3 persons and sidecar. If the motorcycle is larger, it is classified as a passenger car. Quads are classified as motorcycles, trikes and smarts are classified as cars.
Why and how we measure your vehicle
When you book your ferry ticket at Scandlines, it is very important for us to know how long your vehicle is. On a regular ferry crossing, there must be space for many vehicles. Therefore, we need to know the length of all vehicles on board. This way, we can ensure that there is room for you at the desired departure.
We measure your vehicle from the front to the rear end, including all kinds of mounted objects. This means that, for example, bicycles or luggage boxes mounted at the rear of the vehicle must be measured together when determining the length of the vehicle.
Please do not measure your vehicle until all objects have been mounted. For example, if you want to take a trailer or caravan on board the ferry, it is not sufficient to measure the trailer / caravan and then add the length of your car. You must measure the entire vehicle when the trailer / caravan is mounted.
In addition to the general rules, there are a few special rules that apply when you are travelling in a van going between Helsingør and Helsingborg, or if your vehicle differs in any way from the above specifications. Deviating rules can be found further down in the text.
Vans with car registration
Vans which are insured as a car with a maximum of 9 passengers according to the registration, with a maximum total weight of 3,500 kg and a maximum length of 6 metres and all applicable statutory requirements, are tariffed as cars.
Vans over 6 metres in length and with a maximum total weight of 3,500 kg are classified as a car with trailer over 6 metres according to the above-mentioned length categories.
On the direct Helsingborg-Helsingborg line, there are fares for vehicles up to 6m in length and over 6m in length. Other lengths are not applicable for this ferry route.